Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Call


Dear Caroline,

On Tuesday night I got the phone call. I was in my pajamas around one in the morning and getting ready to go to bed. I was really tired because I had woken up early in order to run some errands that morning. I was really ready to go to bed, but was waiting for your dad to call me before I went to sleep just like he always does. When the call came in I was excited and relieved, until I heard Thomas’ voice.

Something was wrong. He didn’t even have to say it. Something was wrong. The phone call only lasted about one minute in which he said he was at the hospital forty minutes away and if I could meet him there. Gone was the idea of going to bed. I went into panic mode and threw on the clothes I had on earlier and grabbed a jacket, the phone, and the iPad. I raced up to my mom’s house and my sister agreed to come with me. It was just sheer panic trying to get to my husband. Now the last time I got “the phone call” asking me to meet Thomas at the hospital it meant that he had been attacked and had a concussion. Driving the forty minutes with zero details naturally caused me to imagine every. little. thing. that could be wrong.

Leah and I got to the hospital and the hospital staff was incompetent. I totally get that it is a big deal that so-and-so’s divorce details are fascinating, but these nurses could not be bothered to show me where Thomas ‘ room was. It turns out that it was a migraine. A really bad migraine. And he scared me half to death. I have never seen him like that and hope to never again.

I really do love Thomas. He is an amazing person with a beautiful heart. And I am so thankful we get to enjoy more time together.

Wish #85: I wish for none of those phone calls about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment