Dear Caroline,
September 29, 2001
November 19, 2004
April 9, 2010
June 3, 2011
July 11, 2015
May 21, 2016
Our lives are a series of moments and days that are
especially significant. All the dates above are especially life changing for me
in one way or another. From divorce to deaths to marriages, all of the dates
above are such memorable days for me. I can remember them off the top of my
head. Except for May 21st. I remember the day, but I didn’t remember
the date.
It popped up on my Facebook memories page. Memories and
pictures of the day from over the years. Today, one year ago, Thomas and I
decided to become more involved. In March of last year, we began getting more
involved in TRAGIC and lobbying against a bill that would establish an
“Opportunity School District” that would takeover chronically failing schools
by the governor’s office. We were incensed. We were looking around and asking
ourselves who was going to stand up? We realized that we could do that. We
could stand up.
One of the board members hosted a forum on the issue of OSD
and Thomas was asked to speak at a subsequent meeting that very day about it. I
honestly feel that this day was a beginning of sorts for our life here in
McDonough. Through this meeting we met many of our friends and really began to
get involved. And OSD was defeated by a margin of 20 percentage points.
I think we are again arriving at a beginning. My teaching
career is rapidly coming to a crossroads. For a while, I have felt very disenchanted
with the entire path and am currently exploring my options. It feels very
amazing for the first time in my twenty-eight years to not have a single plan
or single idea moving forward. Its scary and so out of character for me. Endings
kind be scary but beginnings are exciting.
Love always,



No comments:
Post a Comment