Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Showing Heart

Dear Caroline,

My goodness, I’ve been a neglectful mommy lately! This month has been crazy with my work schedule as our school year is quickly coming to an end. I cannot believe that the first (and hardest) year is coming to a close. I should have more time coming soon to write more often.

But this issue was too important to miss no matter how busy my schedule might be. I learned the single more important lesson a teacher can learn today and it is one that I think everyone who has a hand in education should remember. When I was a little girl and a student myself, I was the oldest and bit of a perfectionist. I wanted all A’s on my report cards. My mom always demanded excellence but always reminded us all that attaining our personal best was more important. I remember coming home with a C on a math test and was so upset and embarrassed especially because I had spent hours and hours preparing for the exam and still, in my eyes, had failed. My mom reminded me that God gives us all unique talents and math might not be mine. I was doing my best, my sincere best, and to her that C made her just as proud as any of my other grades. I was reminded of this lesson today. Heart and scrappyness is not something to be ignored, but celebrated. Trying and effort is just overlooked in the “Race to the Top” It makes me so sad that kids who genuinely try and repeatedly fail will give up unless their efforts are celebrated.

Wish #48: I wish for you to always show heart and try 110%. And I promise to notice.

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment