Sunday, June 10, 2012

Catholic Education


Dear Caroline,
I am currently up to my ears in my Master’s program. I used to imagine myself in law school and in the courtroom battling it out for teachers and seeking justice. I got my first taste of that this week in completing case briefs for an assignment. 

A majority of the cases were about the “freedom” of religion in the classroom. While I love my job and the kids I have had the opportunity to teach, it became painfully obvious to me what is wrong with my job. While it is the prerogative of each individual person as to the depth of their religious beliefs and even to reject them at all, it is also my right to the same. I don’t believe that I am capable of divorcing my religious beliefs from my job. I like to think that I show Christ’s love every day in job even if I never use those words. I like to think that my love for Christ is reflected by my actions and how I walk.

I am sorry to say that things are very broken in our educational system and the cause is the lapse of morality the removal of religion has brought. The assignment just made it very clear to me as a Catholic that eventually I would like to teach in a Catholic school where my faith is needed and not to be hushed up. I cannot wait for the day when I can pray with one of my students because they asked me to and not have to tell them no out of fear of losing my job. I will promise you that you will attend a Catholic school because you deserve to be in an environment that shows you our faith and our values. I hope for you to be surrounded by children of faith in a setting that nurtures that instead of squashes it. That is my sincerest hope for both you and for myself.

Wish #56: I hope for you to understand the importance of being surrounded by faith.

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment