Friday, July 27, 2012

Happy Birthday Thomas!


Dear Caroline,

Yesterday was your dad’s twenty-sixth birthday. What an old man he is becoming! We were discussing yesterday (on a plane!) how much we better we are together than we are apart and how true that really is.

So how to I say Happy Birthday the man I get to spend the rest of my life with? We began talking about your dad’s birthday in April. And we realized that we were in the position to take a little trip. When I asked Thomas what is the one place he has always wanted to visit he answered without hesitation, Washington DC. I have been twice before and really enjoyed and appreciated the history. Besides, Thomas deserves something nice!

We flew out yesterday and are staying in an amazing little village of shops and restaurants. Everything is within walking distance, which is a nice little plus. We’re planning on going to a brewery to really celebrate Thomas’ birthday. Right now we are chilling in our hotel room watching the opening games of the summer Olympics and thinking of you.



Thomas really wanted to come to DC to see the Declaration of Independence. When we first talked about coming here, he had tears in his eyes when talking about seeing that document that started our country. Because of one piece of paper, a country was born. Hearing him talk about it and get emotional/excited about it made me more excited to see it as well. Overall, it was an amazing experience that I am happy we got to share.

Later that afternoon, we had tickets to the capitol building to see where our laws are made. It was an interesting experience with a character of a tour guide. We learned some new things and overall really enjoyed today. After we had visited our “representatives”, we visited the Library of Congress. It was amazing! They had this exhibit of the books that shaped America. As a teacher, I was elated to see some of my favorites were represented including The Cat in the Hat and Where the Wild Things Are! They really did shape America.





We’ve had an excellent first day together in DC and are looking forward to a day in the Smithsonian museums tomorrow. But something was definitely missing. We were having lunch and began talking of the next time we visited. We both want to bring you here to introduce you to your country. I cannot wait to bring you here and show you THE documents that created it. We’re thinking of you sweetheart.

Wish #58: I wish for us to travel together as a family- and often!

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment