Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gone


Dear Caroline,

People are made up of many different parts. Sometimes the most missed parts are the tangible, silly things. Some of my quirks would be my scent, my possessions, my smile, my laugh, the way I leave bobby pins on the sink, and a million different other small things. Whenever one of those little things disappears, it almost feels as though that person is gone. Again.

Today was a big day emotionally. Today was the day that they took my grandfather’s truck away. Everyday for the past twenty-three years I have driven past my granddaddy’s truck parked in its spot. I remember driving past it everyday and hoping that my grandfather would be home. So many afternoons were spent dropping off my book bag at home and running as fast as my legs would carry me down to see my grandparents. My granddaddy had a whole fridge filled with goodies for us. It would drive my mom so crazy, but I’d get a peach soda and run in to hugs and kisses and I love yous.

And today it is gone. The truck is gone. The last piece is gone. The final piece has been hauled away. And a small part of me feels as though I have lost him all over again. It was the same when his smell no longer lingered on his shirts and when baseball season is over. So many things that he loved are gone and it is becoming increasingly difficult to remember his voice and those precious I love yous. Memories are so important and yet so fleeting. I love you baby girl and hope to so remember and savor all of the important milestones no matter how far away they might be.

Wish #71: I wish for so much time with you to savor and to enjoy for forever.

Love always 

1 comment:

  1. :( Good thing he was on Candid Camera, that's such a fun memory that can't be removed.

    ReplyDelete