Monday, November 23, 2015

Wants and Needs

Dear Caroline,

When we lived in my college town once upon a time, we attended this amazing Catholic Church with an Irish priest and a nice little circle of friends. I’ll admit maintaining friendships over a distance isn’t easy. And even though we were busy, we weren’t that busy.

When we moved here, I think Thomas especially, wanted a new start and meet new people. We’ve been kind of homebodies.

Yesterday we were having a lazy Sunday. We started laundry and were marathoning the third season of The Office. Thomas was working on homework, and I was happily not doing lesson plans as we are off for Thanksgiving Break. I washed towels and for some reason they did not dry. We were planning on going to lunch, but we wanted to wait until after showers obviously. Thomas was getting progressively more frustrated.

Finally, the towels were ready and we headed out the door. We walked into the restaurant and imagine our surprise when we ran into some of our church friends from Valdosta. It was literally crazy the craziest of coincidences. It was like we picked up right where we left off. We caught up. Spent time. Shared stories.  Visited. It was crazy that it felt like no time had passed. Except that it has. Their son is now five and in kindergarten!  

Sometimes I forget how amazing our God is. I pray all the time for things that are on my heart. But the one thing I haven’t even thought to ask for was meaningful friendships. This year has been truly a roller coaster. We’ve moved and said goodbye. And it was nice to say hello. God knew we needed this for our spirit and it was so nice to have the opportunity to see some of our friends. Everything that went wrong that morning led us to be in the right place and the right time. We serve an awesome God who knew exactly what we needed and what we wanted. We are really in a good place. We are ready for the holidays and to share them with our friends and family. We’re only missing you, baby girl. You are exactly what we want and need to make our family complete.


Love Always

No comments:

Post a Comment