Sunday, November 1, 2015

What's in a Name?

Dear Caroline,

I can hardly believe that it is already November. November means that it is almost time for the holidays. Being so far away from family makes that time that much more special. We have had many wonderful times of late and I suppose it is time for an update.

Yesterday was our first Halloween away from home. Being raised Baptist, Halloween was not celebrated at all. We went to church and fall festivals, maybe but we didn’t even dress up. I usually take my cousins to their fall festival and babysit them afterward. I missed them dearly. This year, having neighbors, I was looking forward to a different kind of Halloween. We didn’t carve pumpkins (I made artificial ones last year) or make anything out of the ordinary. We did watch Charlie Brown and Halloweentown and waited on trick or treaters. We had a grand total of four special guests. I was so disappointed! We have so much extra candy. Oh well, it will go to my classroom as bribery candy. Waste not, want not!

Today being All Saints Day and with the holidays coming up, it does return your thoughts to family. Yesterday a family member shared a photo of my grandparents when they were young. I wish I had known them at that age. They look so happy and in love. They died still in love with each other. I look so much like my grandmother. She had her problems. I have mine too. But I look at the overall quality of her life, past of those problems and she had such a meaningful life. She knew great love and had a family that loved her. She was talented. She spoke her mind. She traveled the world. She had so many adventures. I see myself in her in so many ways. I see her nose, her hairline, her eyes and cheekbones. I carry her name. I miss her dearly and hope to see her when this life is over. Happy All Saint’s Day.

What do you think? Do we favor?



Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment