Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Mulberry


Dear Carline,

As a little girl, one constant in my life has always been my home. We have lived in the same house since I was two years old and a constant presence was a monster mulberry tree that grew in our backyard. Mulberry trees are known for their huge leaves and, in some cases, their purple berries.

I remember running away from my mother and hiding underneath the tree when it wasn’t in bloom. When I got in trouble and was not allowed precious snacks, I would go and pick those purple berries. I would always get caught though because mulberry berries leave impossible stains. So many of my childhood shoes and clothes were ruined with purple polka dots. The smell of mulberry leaves marked the beginning of spring and the end of fall died with the mulberries. That tree is in the background of so many memories.

Of course I have heard the importance of the mulberry tree in Chinese culture. The mulberry tree was prized because silk worms thrived in its branches. The silk trade was what opened China up to the outside world.

I’ve heard the stories of the beginning colony of Savannah when General Oglethorpe brought over mulberry trees to try making silk. I wonder if this is the beginnings of my tree as well?

I can see a parallel to our situation and the mulberry tree of my childhood. This tree was plucked out of its home environment and transplanted in Georgia where it thrived. Part of me hates myself for plucking you away from your home culture and part of me hates the culture for necessitating it. (Which is not something I am proud of.) We hope to provide an environment where you can grow to your highest potential. We love you and hope to see you become the person God plans for you to be.

Wish #41: I wish for you to have such big and impossible dreams that you accomplish.

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment