Dear Caroline,
One of the biggest reasons I chose to write you letters is to both show you how anticipated you are and to show you that in addition to being your mother, I am first a person.
One of my biggest annoyances or quirks is marriage. I will be the first to tell you that I never wanted to get married. Being a product of divorce and Thomas being a product of divorce, I did not foresee making the commitment a marriage requires. Not to say that I am unhappily married, it is quite the opposite. I am thoroughly happy and secure in our decision, but I am saying that it took some convincing.
To put it simply, I do not believe in divorce. Thomas and I entered this marriage under no illusions that it was going to be hard. But we also made a promise to each other that we were in this for life. I have lost respect for people who have left marriages when it became difficult. And I have no respect for politicians who scream about the Bible and the sanctity of marriage when they are guilty of adultery and divorce themselves. (BTW, Jesus specifically spoke about the sanctity of marriage while he never mentioned homosexuality. Just food for thought) Both Thomas and I have a very “Catholic” attitude to marriage. We believe that we’re married and we will be married in the eyes of God until one or both of us leaves this life. We’re married, kid.
Wish #43: We wish for a happy marriage for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment