Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Crystal Ball


Dear Caroline,

I am feeling so inspired as of right now. Sometimes all it takes is being validated by someone who knows what they are talking about rather than hearing the negatives from a politician who hasn’t stepped foot in a classroom since their own school days!

As you know baby girl, I am three months shy of graduating with my Master’s Degree! I am also working towards my gifted endorsement basically because I had to take an elective and I don’t believe in wasting money/time. If I have to take an elective, it will count for something! But I digress… Tonight’s assignment was to write a critique on the reasons why creativity is dwindling in America’s schools. I was introduced to Sir Ken Robinson who made an exceptional point that is really unrelated to the assignment tonight.

I am a child of the 80s. I grew up without computers, the Internet, cell phones, text messages, iPads, GPS, the DVR, or any of the other “modern” conveniences I know and enjoy today. My favorite TV shows from my childhood are already playing on the “classic channels”. I was born in a whole other millennium! I was educated in another millennium by teachers who never could have imagined what they were preparing me to live in. This, I think, is the most unique challenge of my job. My primary job is to prepare students for the real world. My contribution might be small, but I am setting the foundation for tomorrow. How can I do that properly without having any idea of what that tomorrow might look like? I’m sure my teachers could never have imagined everything we have in my today, just as I cannot imagine your “todays”. I’ve thought about this often in the context of you and our life together, but it is so different to imagine it in the lives of my students. Teaching is difficult no matter how you look at it.

The future is so murky. I can’t even imagine a week from now much less that far into the future. I could easily drive myself crazy EASILY by considering every little thing. At least I have a new Harry Potter film to look forward to!

Wish #92: I wish for a healthy use but not obsession of the latest technology. Everything in moderation, baby girl.

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment