Dear Caroline,
I feel jipped! Many of my amazing friends are expecting or are enjoying new babies. Now I’m excited and enraptured for them of course. But I’ve been flooded with non-stop baby inspiration for months now. Every time a friend posts or pins a new baby idea I’ll go looking for an adoption modification. And what do I get? Nada!
It turns out sweet child of mine that adoption is actually not as popular as I grew up thinking. So many people talk about adoption, but in actuality it is a steadily declining trend. There are absolutely still people who adopt and it is more public now than ever before. But the actual number of people adopting is actually on the decline. It makes me wonder sometimes.
I see so many sweet actual birth day ideas. “Ten Must Take Photos on Baby’s First Day” and “Cute Birth Announcement Ideas” and “Gender Reveal Announcements Ideas” and “Must try Name Reveal Games” and the list could probably go on forever. It just kind of bums me out that pregnancy is so vastly ingrained that to other people it is completely foreign to adopt. I’ve been looking for alternatives, and so far there isn’t anything cute happening in adoption land. That is held by a monopoly of the preggers. I’m happy for other people, but is pregnancy really all that cute? It actually seems kind of gross.
I remember right before my friend Ashley got pregnant. She did her homework like any mom should. She would try to tell us these horrifying stories of tearing, stitches, and who knows what else. I remember telling her that pregnancy needed to stay a mystery or I would never have biological children. She rocked out in her pregnancy and did her best to keep it a mystery for me, which is the reason I’m still open to possibly having biological children one day- HA!
All I’m saying is that yes pregnancy is a miracle. But more important, it is a visible miracle. People can see that you are expecting and can share in that exciting time with you. They are capable of seeing the miracle. Adoption is an invisible miracle. No one really shares in my excitement in my everyday life. We don’t get asked about it. No one wishes us congratulations. No one really understands that this is a part of our future. We’re invisibly pregnant-for nine years. I’m not asking for much, but can the adoptive moms get some cute ideas on pinterest too? Jeez, that’s all I’m asking!
Wish 27: I wish for cute ideas to magically appear so you aren’t disappointed in your baby book!
Love always
Love always
Aww...I am glad I never scared you!:) While having a biological child is truly amazing to me. I would love to be able to adopt one day if I feel called to do so. I had a friend who was unable to get pregnant, but we threw her one heck of a baby shower! She and her husband were told of a birth mother who was weeks away from delivering, so they did not have much time to prepare. It was fun having little Colten there with us though!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite things about you is the passion you feel about adopting. When Caroline comes, you will be able to make it special for her, and for you as parents.
ReplyDelete