Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Curse of Vanus


Dear Caroline,

My granddaddy was an amazing person who had many amazing experiences. Whenever he went to any kind of show he was picked as the volunteer. He was on Candid Camera, played basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters, and many others. Well we jokingly refer to this as the curse of Vanus in our family. Well today, I was hit with the curse of Vanus.

It started out of innocently enough. My school was able to secure an author who writes magic books. I had previously seen his act when I was student teaching and was excited because I knew that everyone would like him.

This morning when I was getting dressed, it occurred to me that I was going to be picked as the teacher “volunteer” and I better dress nice! So we’re in the middle of the show and a teacher volunteer was given the opportunity to learn how to do the Chinese ring trick.

And of course I got picked. I can handle my class and even debated in high school, but I don’t do large groups of people. The assembly was Pre-K through 2nd grade plus special programs. I was thoroughly embarrassed! I was only able to complete the trick successfully two out of five times. I guess it was worth it though when I looked down at my kiddos and saw them looking up at me and waving. But I was still really, really embarrassed and now everyone knows me as the teacher who messed up the magic trick!

Wish #33: I wish for you not to embarrass easily!

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment