Saturday, January 28, 2012

In What Other Profession?


Dear Caroline,

I am a teacher and I can see myself in this profession for the foreseeable future. Admittedly I would eventually like to go to law school and lobby on the behalf of teachers, but I do not necessarily see that dream becoming a reality any time soon. I read an article my fabulous mentor Whiddon posted earlier today about the state of my profession and it struck a cord.

In what other profession are the licensed professionals considered the LEAST knowledgeable about the job? You seldom if ever hear “that guy couldn’t possibly know a thing about law enforcement – he’s a police officer”, or “she can’t be trusted talking about fire safety – she’s a firefighter.”
In what other profession is experience viewed as a liability rather than an asset? You won’t find a contractor advertising “choose me – I’ve never done this before”, and your doctor won’t recommend a surgeon on the basis of her “having very little experience with the procedure”.
In what other profession is the desire for competitive salary viewed as proof of callous indifference towards the job? You won’t hear many say “that lawyer charges a lot of money, she obviously doesn’t care about her clients”, or “that coach earns millions – clearly he doesn’t care about the team.”
If that entire attitude weren’t bad enough, what other profession is legally held to PERFECTION by 2014? Are police required to eliminate all crime? Are firefighters required to eliminate all fires? Are doctorsrequired to cure all patients? Are lawyers required to win all cases? Are coaches required to win all games? Of course they aren’t.
For no other profession do so many outsiders refuse to accept the realities of an imperfect world. Crime happens. Fire happens. Illness happens. As for lawyers and coaches, where there’s a winner there must also be a loser. People accept all these realities, until they apply to public education.
If a poverty-stricken, drug-addled meth-cooker burns down his house, suffers third degree burns, and then goes to jail; we don’t blame the police, fire department, doctors, and defense attorneys for his predicament. But if that kid doesn’t graduate high school, it’s clearly the teacher’s fault.
And if someone – anyone - tries to tell you otherwise; don’t listen. He must be a teacher.

I definitely agree with the intent of his letter. There is no such thing as a perfect teacher or perfect student. There is no such thing as perfection on this side of heaven. But I do think that it is important to underscore how much I still believe in each imperfect student. As a teacher I have to truly believe that each student in each classroom can succeed. I think it goes back to the Einstein quote about fish. "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." 

I believe that just because a student fails a standardized test, does not equate failing in life. I believe that every child can learn, but I also believe that there is more to an education than what can be learned in books. But I'm "just" a teacher.

Wish #38: I wish for you to have a wonderful education even if that doesn't include books!

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment