Monday, October 3, 2011

Everybody Dies Famous in a Small Town


Dear Caroline,

I’ve been listening to one of the truest songs ever written. It is called Everybody Dies Famous in a Small Town. I was spoiled the last four years. I have been living in Valdosta where I didn’t know very many people and it was a large city regardless. I have forgotten that since moving home I regressed back to being four and being back amongst the tattlers.

Lauren, the teacher across the hall, and I have been talking about starting a Tattle-Tell Tuesday to cut down on tattling in our classrooms as it drives us both crazy. However, I didn’t know that I needed to institute this across our community as well. I have completely forgotten that being back home means that everyone will find out your business and tell on you to various people that they think can get you in trouble. It was one of the reasons I was hesitant to give into moving back to Cairo! It still irritates me that I am a grown woman and people still think that my choices are wrong and they tell on me to my mother. But I am more disappointed that my mother entertains it.

It is important to think before one speaks. It is important to ask yourself if something is true, kind, and necessary before one speaks. Just because something is true does not mean that it is kind or necessary. I would say that half the things swirling in the gossip mill this very night are not very kind or necessary. This isn’t to say that I haven’t contributed to the problem but I am saying that I am working towards not being a part of the problem. I hope to teach you from a young age not to hold idle thoughts and spread them regardless of whether or not it is true. I realize I’ll be teaching against the tide and it will not be easy! But I think it will be an easier lesson to learn at a young age rather than having to relearn it as an adult. I hope that your reputation is one of kindness and sincerity. We love you very much and we hope that you are well loved by others as well.

Wish #10: I wish that we were closer to opening some doors towards adoption.

Love always

1 comment:

  1. I know I've said this many times before but I love the idea of this blog. You're using life's annoyances, lessons and happiness to teach Caroline before you even lay eyes on her... and it moves me to tears every. single. time.

    ReplyDelete