Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bee a spellebrity


Dear Caroline,

This week is my favorite week in the year. It is Bee Week! The Scripps National Spelling Bee is something I have watched for six years now although I missed it last year because I was at my rehearsal dinner. Does it make me a bad person that I would rather have been watching than having dinner with my family? It was actually an argument for setting the date on June 25th.

Why do I like it so much? I started watching six years ago when a boy I went to church with and babysat for was a participant. Granted he didn’t make it to the semi-finals but I was hooked. I guess it is the teacher in me, but it makes me so proud to see these kids, some as young as six, dedicate so much of themselves to something so many people don’t value anymore. With technology and typing, spelling skills are not valued as much as they used to be. I know that I am a terrible speller and it amazes me that these kids can spell these words! It blows my mind.

It starts out with various qualifying events from across the country and internationally. In Georgia, there are two final contests sponsored by the Augusta Chronicle and the Georgia Association of Educators. In all honesty, Georgian contestants don’t usually don’t last long. Although we do have one contestant still in play in the semi-finals. Once arriving in Washington D.C, all spellers take a written spelling test. Students that do well enough on the spelling test advance to the preliminaries. Everyone spells words and you aren’t necessarily eliminated because you miss a word. The top fifty students who advance to the semi-finals are eliminated from competition with the sound of a bell should they spell anything incorrectly.  The Finals are held at night on ESPN and are awarded $40,000 in prizes for spelling every word correctly. Below are some examples of winning words.

2008
guerdon
Sameer Mishra
Journal and Courier,
Lafayette, Indiana
2009
Laodicean
Kavya Shivashankar
Olathe News,
Olathe, Kansas
2010
stromuhr
Anamika Veeramani
The Plain Dealer
Cleveland, Ohio
2011
cymotrichous
Sukanya Roy
Times Leader
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

I really enjoy the Scripps National Spelling bee and would love to attend some day. I’m famous for it amongst my friends. I’m always getting kidded about it but it is so worth it.

Wish #54: I wish for you to be a halfway decent speller. Anything than my skills would be an improvement.

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment