Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother, Mama, Mom, Mommy


Dear Caroline,

Today is Mother’s Day. I have been blessed with a great mom in many ways. She sacrificed so many things to make sure we were well cared for. She stayed home with us. She played with us. She tucked us in bed and prayed with us each night. She volunteered in our classes and read to us. She did birthdays big. She baked our cakes and let us have sleepovers. She made us feel loved and special. She is my mom and we’re blessed to have her.

I often wonder what makes a mom. Are you a mom when your baby is born? If that is the answer I could be a mom relatively soon. Are you a mom when you find out you’re pregnant? Then I won’t ever be a mom. Are you a mom when you hold your baby for the first time? That is a long way off. I don’t think any of those situations is when you become a mom. I think the answer is when you sacrifice and hold love for your child. I think am already your mom. In my heart I am already a mother to you.

As this Mother’s Day passes, as will another eight or more without the title, I look to some of the other mothers who perhaps are falling down on the job. I am a teacher and I get called mommy or mama at least once a day by sweet little angels whose most important person in their little world is their mom. Over the years I’ve seen little angels whose wings have been bent by their mommies and it makes me sad. The kids with the great moms draw pictures for her every day. Their paintings feature their moms. Every thing we make is followed by “Can I give this to my mom?” Being a mom is about love, responsibility- not because you have to but because you want to, and sacrifice. I can see you in our lives and cannot wait for your arrival and the official title.

Wish #50 (We’re half way there!): I wish for you to have a wonderful independent adult family that includes the title if you’d like it. If you are the person I raised you to be and you’d like to have children, you’d be a great mom.

Love always 

No comments:

Post a Comment