Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Stupid


Dear Caroline and God our Father,

(I would just like to begin this letter by stating that this is in response to a television show I am currently watching and nothing to do with any person in my real life.)

I think teenage pregnancy is stupid. Majorly stupid. I think that all unplanned pregnancy is stupid but especially teenaged pregnancy. I think marriage in response to pregnancy is stupid.

I say this as a teacher and a Catholic. Babies and in turn children should be wanted. They should be cared for. They shouldn’t have to wonder where their dinner is coming from because their underage parents can’t afford to buy groceries for them. They should be able to enjoy their childhood instead of having to grow up so quickly to take care of the parents. Nothing in my life makes me more heartbroken than unwanted and uncared for children. And it isn't the government or the grandparents or great-grandparent's responsibility to care for them.You were wanted Caroline and I wish all children were.

I am currently watching Private Practice. This is the episode where two fifteen year olds get married (in a grand fashion, I might add) in response to a pregnancy. Everyone celebrates and gets excited despite the circumstances except Maya’s mother. She in turn is demonized and guilted into attending the wedding. What everyone doesn’t remember is that Naomi was being a good mother and tried to set boundaries and rules when Maya started dating and no one really took her seriously. It serves Maya right and when her prepubescent nuptials fall apart I hope she remembers her what her mother told her. I would not have signed the consent form for my fifteen year old to get married. I wouldn’t have paid for the wedding. And I wouldn’t attend it.

I make this promise to you as my mother made this promise to me; I will do my best to raise you up in the way of the Lord. I will do my best to instill in you morals and the laws of our Father in our best interest. Ultimately your choices will be yours. My mother made it very clear to me that my choices were also my responsibilities. Should you make a choice, that choice will be your responsibly. I will be responsible for my children and you will be responsible for yours. I will be a wonderful grandma, but I won’t be a second mother to them. That will be your job and responsibility. And I won’t celebrate your bad choices. I will help you through them and support you to make the best of the bad, but I won’t celebrate them.

Wish #52: Guard your heart, Miss Caroline. It will keep away the mistakes and the heartbreak.

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment