Dear Caroline,
After we were really, truly legally and spiritually married, we pranced our way out of our reception and off we were to our fabulous honeymoon, right?
Wrong!
We came by to our house first. Our amazing friends Robin, Greg, and Gary along with my third “sister” and her boyfriend came out to the house with our wedding gifts. We are so blessed to have so many people help us establish our first home. The boys played around and starting talking projects and I talked to Robin knowing that we’d be moving soon and we wouldn’t get to see each other very often after that. (As a side note, Robin is now expecting her first little one and we couldn’t be happier for her!)
After everyone left, I went up to my mom’s house and took a shower. Having second day wedding hair is kind of gross. Somewhere between the shower and leaving on our honeymoon, I LOST Thomas’ mother’s diamond earrings. They have sense forth vanished into thin air making me the worst daughter-in-law in the history of daughters-in-law. I am sure that when you’re getting married it will still be a hotly contested issue around the house. Good luck on inheriting a crazy family who means well.
After the shower and losing the earrings we were off! We spent one night in Atlanta before driving up to North Carolina. We stayed in a beautiful bed and breakfast near Asheville. It was so beautiful. By no means was going to the mountains my idea of a honeymoon and it will still be a source of complaint for me forever, but if I were to consider this as just a nice trip, it was great. It was a very nice trip. It was very relaxing and secluded. It even had a hot tub! Overall we kept to ourselves although we did go hiking and get an amazing massage. I even read a new book.
The last night before we were supposed to go home, we bought tickets to the Biltmore Estates. After we bought the tickets, I was woken up to my first true test of our wedding vows. I promised to love Thomas in sickness and in health, and he got so sick! He woke up at three in the morning and did not go back to sleep expect in the bathroom. When it was time to check out, I put in we still use the tickets as they were, in my opinion, on the expensive side. Thomas agreed. So we went anyway. Thomas was whiney and grated on my nerves to the point of a huge argument on the front lawn of the Biltmore. Lovely. We then had to drive all the way home together. Overall it was a great trip and I enjoyed it. We have made plans to return on my spring break.
Overall, I think that a honeymoon, regardless of location, is really about the bride and the groom getting a break! It was immensely stressful planning our wedding with all of the compromises along the way. Just for us to be able to escape and get away and only focus on us even for a week. It was nice to sit back and look at Thomas and know that he was my husband. So even though it was not my ideal location, we grew so much closer as a unit. So we have come to the end of the recap. That was our wedding and the beginning of our marriage. It was the first of many steps that brings you closer to our forever family.
Wish #5: I wish for you to know true, all consuming love.
No comments:
Post a Comment