Friday, September 9, 2011

Wedding Recap Part Three- Walking Down the Aisle Redo!



Dear Caroline,

As I mentioned, I was very hesitant to get married in general so we got married twice just to make sure it took. We were really blessed to have the ceremony how we wanted with the people I consider our true and faithful friends in Valdosta- I have made some pretty bad choices in the people I considered friends over the years. I really felt loved.

The next morning we got up and got “remarried” by a family friend. Our wedding night was spent in a beautiful bed and breakfast in my hometown. However, when we got in at eleven that night the air was broken. We were absolutely miserable and had guests not been in the house we’re living in now, I really believe we would have just gone home! No air conditioning in June heat in Georgia makes one miserable bride.

I was really feeling sick the morning of the Affirmation. But we sucked it up and got married (again!) on the steps of a beautiful club in my hometown. We decided that since we were already married we would walk ourselves down the aisle. My beautiful and talented cousin Carmen and her husband Tracy sang the song we walked to. The song is I Will Be Here by Steven Curtis Chapman. Our favorite line from the song is, "I will be true to the promise I have made, to you and to the One who gave you to me." Truly powerful to think about. They were amazing and they have a marriage we would like to have one day. We couldn't thank them enough. This was the ceremony where we could personalize our vows and we reaffirmed the promises we made the day before in front our families and our truly amazing friends who drove in from their various homes. Below is the wording from the ceremony.

Dear family and friends, on behalf of Thomas and Lani I welcome all of you for this marriage celebration. We are here today to encourage, celebrate and support the covenant these two people now make and to share in the joy that Thomas and Lani are feeling as they pledge their love and commitment to each other. We rejoice and celebrate in the ways life has led them to each other and got them to the place where they now stand.

Ecclesiastes tells us, “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

At this time, we will join in the marriage celebration as Lani and Thomas repeat their vows to one another.

Thomas, since it is your intention to marry, join your right hands and declare your consent. Do you take Lani to be your lawful wedded wife to have and behold from this day on, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, as long as you both shall live.

Thankfully, Thomas said I do 
Minister: Lani, Do you take Thomas to be your lawful wedded husband, to have and behold from this day on, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, as long as you both shall live.

I also said I do!

Thomas and Lani, you have given and pledged your promises to each other, and have declared your everlasting love by exchanging vows. Your vows may have been spoken in minutes, but your promises to each other will last until your last breath. As you have pledged yourselves to meet sorrow and happiness as one family before God and this community of friends, I now pronounce them husband and wife. You may kiss your bride.

Minister: Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you Mr. and Mrs. W.
And that was how we got married the second time. We then proceeded to our amazing reception. We were really blessed to be surrounded by our families, friends, and new co-workers. 





What I remember the most was the heat!  It was so hot and so miserable especially with the gnats. This ceremony lasted about ten minutes and by the end Thomas' face was covered in sweat. I remember Matt (the Best Man) and I making faces at each other. He is one of my favorite people. I remember swatting at the gnats and then thinking inappropriate, brides don't swat! I was smiling and enjoying being with my family. After our QUICK affirmation, we entered the air conditioned reception where we got to spend time with our family and eat some amazing food! 

More on that later, the lowdown on our reception and honeymoon are coming up next!

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment