Sunday, August 21, 2011

Taken for Granted


Dear Caroline,

Family is a complicated thing. They make you laugh. They make you cry. They frustrate you to death. They are also highly taken for granted.

This will be the first year without my grandparents at Christmastime. My favorite parts about Christmas took place in the house where we are now living. I am sitting my grandfather’s chair looking at the place where their Christmas tree always went. That is what Christmas means to me. It means celebrating around the tree with family. But as I got older, the holidays got more and more complicated. It is no longer about celebrating with family, now it is about politics and who gets more time. I am especially frustrated at the thought of this year’s festivities. I miss an uncomplicated day with family. I think we might stay home and do our own thing and make our own family traditions. I wish people would stop being selfish and asking people to make unfair decisions. If you decide to leave, then you miss out completely. Guess they won’t get any time at all. I can see this being how it is in the future as well. It makes me miss my family. But I will be proactive and control the decisions I have control over. But dear Caroline, know that this might be the beginning on missing out of Christmas with some of your grandparents. This is the year it started. For that I am sorry, but I am not sorry for making the best decisions I could under the circumstances. We might just have a grandparent free Christmas when you arrive. That was their choice, not mine.


2.) I wish that you will always keep Christ in Christmas.

Love always

No comments:

Post a Comment